Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Winnipeg Junction City Clerk and Justice of the Peace Records
Call Number MSS 60
Extent 1 box (.5 Linear Feet)
Dates of Creation 1885-1910
Creator Winnipeg Junction Town Government
Scope & Content The collection contains the surviving records from the town governement of Winnipeg Junction, a small township located within section 22 of Highland Grove Township in Clay County Minnesota. Present in the materials include transactional records, court records, financial records, and records of criminal complaints and warrants that originated in Winnipeg Junction during the late 19th and early 20th century.
Admin/Biographical History Winnipeg Junction was established in 1885 with the arrival of the Northern Pacific Railroad. The town developed rapidly and within 20 years had a church, three stores, three salloons, two restaurants, two hotels, a bakery, a grain elevator, a school, three livery stables, and a post office which operated from 1887-1910. However the railroad moved its line to a more favorable grade in 1909, and the town subsequently died, it's businesses and residents moving to the adjacent communities of Manitoba Junction and Dale. Little trace of the town remains today.

- Minnesota Place Names a Geographical Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition
Subjects Winnipeg Junction (Minn.)
City Government
Access Conditions There are no access restrictions on the materials, and the collection is open to all members of the public in accordance with state law.
Copyrights The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright of the state of Minnesota which may be involved in the use of this collection.
Language of Material English
Archival History Donated by Chuck Ulven in 1985 (accession #85.20)
Containers Bills of Sale, Contracts and Recipts, 1901-1907
Criminal Complaints/Warrants, 1901-1907
Liquor License/Bonds, 1907-1908
Mortgage Papers/Leases, 1901-1905
Election Papers – Bonds/Oaths of Office, 1906-1907