Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Moorhead Fire Department
Call Number MSS 38
Extent 4 (3.6 Linear Feet)
Dates of Creation 1872-1980
Creator Moorhead Fire Department
Scope & Content The collection is split into three series': Administrative records, Newspaper Clippings, and Photographs.

The Administrative Records Series includes the administrative files of the Moorhead Fire Department. There is the declaration of the formation of the fire department and record of who helped pay for its first equipment. There financial record books that have the insurance values of the fires, and the spending records of the fire department such as values of replacing equipment. There are record books of the minutes of the Department. Some of the Records books are specifically from the Key City Hook and Ladder Company. There is a certificate of their participation in the Minnesota Fire Department Association, and Certificates of Francis J. Remley. There also are many different manuals for equipment the fire department used and training manuals for the firemen. There is correspondence about fire reports and obtaining new equipment. There is a 1920s Souvenir book for when the hosted the Minnesota Firemen Association Convention. There is a 1920s Articles of Institution, Corporation and By-Laws of the Moorhead Fire Department.

The Newspaper Clippings Series includes articles that are about the fire department itself, and about fires in the area and some from around the country. The articles come from newspapers such as the Fargo Forum, The Red River Scene, The Valley Times, Moorhead Daily News, Minneapolis Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, and Daily News Los Angeles California. Articles from the column Reminiscing with Jim Fay. The content of these clippings are about fires such as the Old Chaney-Everhard Building Fire (1942), the St. John's Episcopal Church fire (1945), Hanson Auto School fire (1947), Glendenning Motor Building fire (1948), Overvold Distributing Inc. Fire (1952), the Red River Grain Company Fire (1967), the Silver Moon Café and McGarvey-Pioner Coffee Company (1968), Waterman Building Fire (1968), Comstock Hotel Fire (1968), the Monroe Refrigeration Company Fire, Fred Meyers Farm Fire, the Trinity Lutheran church fire, and the Moorhead State College Center for the Arts Fire. There are articles about firemen, such as Fred Rustad (1942), Chief Francis Remley (1952), John Helsing (1968), and Peter Jesten. There are other articles about general fire department news. Some other articles include fires in Chicago and an article about Hitler in 1939.

The Photographs Series includes documentation of the fires and rescues done by the Moorhead Fire Department such as Moorhead Seed and Grain Fire (1946), Hansen Auto School Fire (1947), the Overvold Distributing Company Fire (1952), Super Oil Fire (1952), Dilworth Tank Rescue (1959), Comstock Hotel Fire (1962) and the Farmers Home Grocery Fire (1977). There are photos documenting the firemen of the department such as the men of the Eagle Hose Company in 1905, the men of the Key City Hook and Ladder Company in 1902 and 1907, the Firemen of 1899, and a photo of John Helsing. There were photographs documenting training sessions and other events of the Moorhead Fire Department. There are also some photographs of the Fargo Fire of 1893. The photographs were personal and some were photographs by the Fargo Forum by photographers Chet Gerbet, and Merle E Nott (1945), The Red River Scene, WDAY-TV, by Larry Phillips, and Henry Bogenrief.
Admin/Biographical History The Moorhead Fire Department was organized in November 15, 1872, by 37 men that constituted themselves as a Volunteer Fire Department. Peter Czizek was their first fire chief until 1882. The Eagle Hose Company was organized in January of 1882. In October 1882 the first Hook and Ladder Company was organized. In February of 1883 the Fire Patrol was organized. In 1892 the first horse drawn wagon was put into service with Peter E. Malvey as its driver and in 1895 the first horse drawn hook and ladder was purchased. The horses were well trained under Malvey and were the pride of the department and city. In 19717 the Eagle Hose Company and Hook and Ladder Company merged together to form the Moorhead Fire Department and had on its payroll two full time firemen.
On June 6th, 1918, the fire station burned down. The men were called to the outskirts of the city on a false alarm, and the fire was started after they left. This fire was the end to the horse drawn units. Then next year the horse drawn team was replaced with a t chemical tank and hose-carrying truck. In 1920 the last horse-drawn teams was replaced with a hook and ladder service truck.
In 1971 a second station was opened in Moorhead. In 1973 the headquarters was relocated after death of a child when trains blocked the crossing into North Moorhead. In the mid-to-late 2000s a third fire station was opened. The Moorhead Fire Department now staffs 24 Firefighters, 6 captains, 3 Assistant Chiefs, 1 Assistant Fire Marshal, 1 Fire Marshal, and 1 Program Assistant, all of which are now full time employees.
People Remley, Francis
Subjects Fire Department of Moorhead Minnesota
Moorhead (Minn.)
Fire
Photographs
Access Conditions There are no access restrictions on the materials, and the collection is open to all members of the public in accordance with state law.
Copyrights The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright of the state of Minnesota which may be involved in the use of this collection.
Language of Material English
Archival History Donated by the Moorhead Fire Department in 1978

36.78.2
83.22.1
95.85.7
Containers Negatives, 1994
Negatives, 1994
Articles of Constituion and by laws of the Moorhead Fire Department, 1920
Buffalo Fire Appliance Corp, Equipment Information, 1953-1954
Certificates of Francis J. Remley, 1955
Correspondance of Francis Renley, 1958, 1982
Declaration of the Forming of the Moorhead Fire Department, 1872
Deed of Gift and Company Photographs, 1902, 1905, 1907, 1989
Dilworth Tank Rescue Photographs, 1959
Equipment Information, 1939-1946
Hale Fire Pump Company Manuals, 1940-1941, 1953-1955, 1958, 1961
Hansen Auto School Fire Photographs, 1947
Key City Hook and Ladder Company Ledger, 1906-1917
Mannuals, 1942, 1953-1954, 1962, 1965
Matenence and Operation Manuals, 1936
Memorial Address before Minnesota Firemans Association, 1956
MMinnesota Fire Department Association Certificate, 1880 [?] (no folder)
Minute Book, Key City Hook and Ladder Company, 1902-1911
Minutes of the Moorhead Fire Department, 1911-1923
Miscellaneous
Moorhead Fire Department Account Book, 1929-1932, 1958
Moorhead Fire Department Cash Book, 1911-1917
Moorhead Fire Department Traces its History, Undated
Moorhead Fire Department, Souvenir Book, 1920
Negatives and Photographs, 1892, 1899, 1905, 1936, 1938, 1939, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1955, 1958, 1
Negatives and Photographs, 1909, 1919, 1949, 1973, 1977, 1979
Negatives and Photographs, 1947, 1956, 1975, 1978
Negatives, undated
Newspaper Clippings and Photographs, 1920, 1927, 1928, 1934-1937, 1939
Newspaper Clippings, 1894, 1930, 1942, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1949, 1955, 1952, 1956, 1965, 1967, 1968 19
Newspaper Clippings, 1909, 1936
Photograph of Building, undated (no folder)
Photograph of Men, 1919, (no folder)
Photographs of equipment, undated
Photographs of Firemen, Undated (no folder)
Photographs of multiple fires, 1937, 1939-1941, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1955, 1960
Photographs of people and college campuses, undated
Photographs of the Fargo Fire, 1893
Photographs, 1930, 1936, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1957, 1958
Photographs, 1936, 1940, 1941
Photographs, 1940, 1941, 1955
Photographs, 1940, 1945
Photographs, 1952-1953, 1960, 1972-1973, 1983
Photographs, 1962
Photographs, 1972-1974,1978, 1982-1983
Photographs, undated
Photographs, undated
Record Book for the Moorhead Fire Department, 1893-1902
Records of the Moorhead Fire Brigade, 1882-1893
Scrapbook of Newspaper Clippings and Insurance values, 1909, 1944-1948 (no folder)
The list of People who bought the First Engine, 1872